Why use Tungsten Jig Heads and Sinkers instead of Lead?
.... upgrading from Lead to Tungsten will mean a new game and you will struggle going back to your old ways .... technology advances every day and so should we... It's like when you changed from Mono to Fluoro .... you swallowed hard but once you felt the advantages it was hard to go back to Mono.
There are numerous advantages to using Tungsten in weighted fishing applications -
Tungsten alloy weights are harder than steel and extremely dense; tungsten is on average 30% smaller than its lead counterpart. At just under twice the density of lead, instead of a huge chunk of lead being presented along with your bait, the tungsten counterpart is smaller, sleeker and heavier. They are heavy and dense enough to resist sudden wind blows and will maintain their shape for longer. The image indicates the relative size differences between lead and tungsten bullet sinkers of the same weights. (L-R, 1/2, 3/8, 1/4, 3/16, 1/8, 1/16 oz)
- Because tungsten is a very hard material, it is extremely sensitive and can actually help you "feel" what the bottom is made of and what your bait is bumping into, such as rocks, brush, mud, etc and hang-ups will occur far less with a tungsten jig head or sinker than with a similar lead product because of its smaller size.
- Tungsten alloy worm weights create twice the sound of lead weights, assisting in attracting the attention of fish.
- The hole in the sinkers is a diamond-bored hole for extreme smoothness, reducing wear on the leader being used.
- A dull nickel finish helps avoid “sinker bites” when the fish bites your sinker instead of your bait.
- Tungsten is a good alternative to lead fishing sinkers for another reason as well; it’s a non-toxic metal that is less harmful to fish, wildlife, lake and river ecosystems
Lead is known to cause lead poisoning and enters the environment as a result of the inevitable occasional loss of fishing sinkers during routine fishing. Lead sinker bans have motivated the use of various other materials in sinkers eg in the USA and Europe. While not occurring in Australia as yet, there are conversations occurring that may result in changes in the near future. Using sustainable fishing products helps to maintain the environment for the benefit of our kids and the future.