Vike Skirted Micro Jig Heads
Vike Skirted Jig Heads score high points for their versatility. Useful in a wide range of applications Skirted Jig Heads are the perfect combination for finesse fishing situations that call for the look of a squid or octopus in action.
Vike Skirted Jig Heads are designed for horizontal jigging and punching through weed in shallow water or for vertical jigging in deeper water. They consist of a 52 strand skirt that utilizes multiple color breaks on a single strand. These strands rotate back and forth creating the illusion of a fully dimensional image. The durable tungsten head is denser than lead and equates to a smaller head and less bulk. The edges of the weight are polished and the line touches only the smooth machined surfaces. The fact that the line directly touches the tungsten on the insert free weights allows for more vibration to be transmitted through the line.
- In fresh water and estuary situations the skirt becomes a target as inquisitive fish can't help reacting to the lure swimming past. Typically rigged so the head slides freely on the leader just above your selection of hook type*, the shape of the head enables fishing to occur horizontally, as in cast and retrieve fishing, basically creating a jig that shields the bait or lure as it enters and exits thick vegetation without becoming snagged, allowing the hook and weight to separate when fighting a fish.
- These Jig Heads can also be allowed to sink to any depth before making a retrieve, making them a great option when Snapper fishing, for instance. Out deep these lures are also deadly on many other bottom dwellers such as jewfish, kingfish and pearl perch as can’t help themselves and instinctively strike in reaction to it. In this situation the standard lift and drop jigging technique for soft plastics is the required presentation for these lures. When retrieving the lure you can opt for a steady wind, but it pays to break up this steady wind with some speed variation as this will provide an action that emulates that of an Ocky or Squid in action. Using a stop/start retrieve, with small pauses, enables the skirt to flutter and flare, presenting a larger, more enticing profile to larger fish.
- Or, simply drop it to the bottom, raise it about half a metre, and just stick the rod into in the holder and let the motion of the boat do all the work for you. Suited for all blue water predators their versatility makes them effective not only on resident reef species but pelagics as well.
- Use them in combination with your favourite bait, squid, octopus, or a pilly as an added enticement. In this application the skirt will act as protection for the bait, reducing the likelihood of the bait being broken off the hook as it moves through weeds.
* See our Tips and Techniques zone for various rigging options that utilise a range of different hooks from single Long Shank Hooks to Ganged and single/treble combinations.
Vike Skirted Jig Heads, also known as Punch Rigs, are available in three colors – Black Blue, Candy Craw, and Green Pumpkin and in Weights - 3/8, ½, ¾, 1, and 1.25oz.